Informational Links


We now display FORECLOSURES on our mapping site. (Choose the "Foreclosure" Theme from the drop down tab in the upper right corner of the desktop map.)



Any transfer of property ownership (i.e. deeds, court orders, creating a trust, etc.) must be entered into the public records of the St. Johns County Recording Department before it will be recognized as a completed transaction. Once a document has been recorded, it is digitally imaged and sent to the Property Appraiser’s Office to be processed.  The time between recording and processing by the Property Appraiser’s Office can vary due to numerous circumstances.

Straight transfers are typically completed within 7 days of the recordation date.  (Please note that this is not always the same date as the closing date.)

However, there are many circumstances that may prolong this process.  Determining homestead status, Amendment 10 (or Save Our Homes) and Amendment 1 designations, and agricultural classification impacts the transfer of property.  In addition, if there are mistakes in the legal description or possible title problems, the issue must be resolved prior to transfer.

"Cut-out" parcels are pieces of property that have been divided out of a larger "parent" parcel. This requires the Property Appraiser’s Office to create a new parcel identification number (or STRAP).  Because of all the processes that must be completed prior to assigning a new STRAP, cut-outs also have a longer processing time.  Some of the questions that must be resolved prior to cutting out a parcel are as follows:

1. Has a deed been recorded at the Recording Department?

2. Are the taxes current on the parent parcel?

3. Is the property in a platted subdivision or is it a part of unplatted lands?

4. Is the land vacant or not, and is a field inspection required?

5. Is the parent parcel homesteaded? If so, what portion of the property will be affected and how will the Amendment 10 (Save Our Homes) portion be determined?

6. Does the parent parcel currently have an agricultural classification?  If so, will a cut-out affect this value?

7. Can the tax roll be updated at this time?  During certain periods of the year when roll processing is taking place, no changes may be made.

You may find out if a particular property has been processed by the Property Appraiser’s Office, once it’s been recorded, by looking at the sale date and the Official Records (OR) number.  You may find that information on our Property Ownership Records Search Page.